Friday, January 27, 2012

#1 Blogging about blogging

I have never blogged before, so I am an infant babe to this world.

Thus far, I have fumbled my way around the site, and have a few comments about blogger.com. Creating my blog from scratch was pretty easy. I followed the prompts and was on my way to a standard blog. I found though that there were very few options to be very creative. It seems like every blog created through the first prompts are quite generic. I had a lot of trouble trying to personalize my blog, and eventually settled on a more stereotypical blog setting.

Blogger.com helped me create a blog fairly easily. For the novice blogger, it flung me into the blogging world quickly.

Thus far, I've had the opportunity to scope out many different blogs. I have found three particularly of interest to me:

1) Amazing facts | Interesting facts | Strange facts
This blog provides interesting and incredible facts about just about anything. The topics are categorized neatly for the user's convenience. This blog is aptly named, as there are hundreds of weird and wonderful facts. The blog is useful as it informs users about the world around them. The posts appear to be well-written with accurate details. I would definitely re-visit this blog in the future, though perhaps not frequently.

2) Youtube Blog
The youtube blog highlights new videos that are causing discussion and interest. This blog talks about the latest events, cultural trends and updates with the youtube channel itself. This blog is helpful, keeping the viewers up-to-date, and even expanding the range of types of videos that viewers would typically watch.

3) Fail Blog
Fail Blog is a humorous site where viewers can send in pictures, videos and images that are considered to be failures. The site is meant to provoke laughter and a critique of the errors and foolishness of others. This site is constantly being added to, and provides a range of types of humour. I really like this site, and view it frequently. This blog is more for entertainment purposes, and less for educational ones.

Blogging does hold a place in today's availability of information, but it is not the primary or one of the primary ways that information is distributed. With the advancements of Google searches and Wikipedia, blogs seem to be created more for entertainment then for education. Blogs are free to view, and available to the public. They are easy to access and follow. On the other hand, blogs can be somewhat unreliable at times, and inaccurate. Newspapers and scientific journals are always safe and reliable for accurate information. They are, though, less accessible to today's society, and not free in many cases. Overall, my blogging experience was relatively painless and somewhat enlightening.

Happy Blogging and Sheep-shearing!

4 comments:

  1. "I'm an infant babe to this world."

    Well, that's a little vain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This blog is more for entertainment purposes, and less for educational ones."

    What the heck are you talking about?! My mama always said, "Laughter is the best school" or something like that I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think YOUR blog should be called "Amazing facts"!

    ReplyDelete